Wednesday, September 16, 2015

From a Reader: What About the Fighting?

It's true. Riding with two kids in a bakfiets isn't always sunshine and rainbows. They are in very close proximity. They can easily hit one another, yell in each others' ears, and bonk helmets together, either on purpose or by accident.

The good news is, they are right in front of me, so I can nip most skirmishes in the bud. I can physically hold on to one helmet or the other if necessary, which usually cuts down on the helmet bonking specifically and behavior problems generally. It is also relatively easy for me to intervene with distractions that occupy their hands and mouths, such as snacks and water bottles. A couple of pinwheels are great distractions and take the cuteness level off the charts!

In the event that behavior is really out of hand, I move to the sidewalk, take the aggressor out, and walk for a block or two. That is usually all it takes for the child to realize the journey will be much more enjoyable in the bicycle.

If your destination is appealing to the kids, you can always threaten to turn around and go home. I used this strategy on our Beat the Heat ride to Union Station, before we were more than a couple of blocks from home. It was particularly effective because I said I would stay home with the child who was hitting, and the other could go with dad and have fun. I think it set the tone for the whole day: this outing is a privilege, and it is supposed to be fun for everyone.

Singing songs is another great way to get the siblings more focused on cooperating instead of fighting. YOU might be insane by the time they get to the fifteen billionth refrain of "Itsy Bitsy Spider," but it's still better than screaming, in my book. Personally, I like to adapt "The Wheels On the Bus" to "The Wheels On the Bike." Naturally, I accompany the verse about the bell on the bike with actual ringing of the bell.

One final note: Usually getting in the bike and on the road is the hardest part. Once we're rolling, there is so much to look at and talk about.... the rides really are mostly sunshine and rainbows!

No comments:

Post a Comment